Sunday, June 17, 2012

Qiang Huang Workshop

Finally I am posting my notes on the Qiang Huang (Chong Wong) workshop that I took back in May.  He is a wonderful teacher and if you love his style then by all means try and take a workshop with him.  Each morning he gave a presentation on his technique and then did a demo.  After lunch we started painting.  The first morning was a low key painting, meaning that the background is dark and the overall look is darker.  Then the second day he started out with the 2nd part of his presentation on his technique and then another demo.  This demo was in high key meaning the background and foreground are lighter and the objects dark.  Afterwards we painted.  The third day we started off painting and then Chong did a presentation on online marketing.  This was very helpful to everyone even if you already had a blog.  He also went into selling your paintings online and on the daily painters site.  During the workshop we worked in a group of 3 artists, setting up the still lifes and painting. 
After the workshop we put our names in a cup to see who would win the raffle on both of Chong's paintings to be able to buy them.  I won for the high key painting, which is now hanging in my bedroom.  My friend and wonderful artist Amanda Carder Lovett won the low key painting.  I think the other people thought it was fixed since 2 friends won the paintings, but it just happened.  I really wanted to win and even wore my t-shirt that says Lucky!  We were both so excited to be able to own one of Chong's paintings.  He is incredible and I would recommend taking a workshop with him!  The workshop was held thru Donna Thomas, The Art School in Sandy Springs.  In the picture I have such a scared look on my face.  I was afraid I was going to drop the wet painting.  lol

The low key painting that Chong painted.  It doesn't show up well in the picture above.
I ended up painting 3 still lifes, but I didn't finish any of them so I am not going to post them.


No comments: