Saturday, October 2, 2010

Robin's Nest 9 x 12 on Panel


So a Robin decided to build a nest in the Crepe Myrtle in the backyard during the spring. We waited and waited for the baby birds, but none appeared. The mother bird sat on the nest for the longest time. Finally she left and we thought she had moved on. Well I decided it was time for me to get the nest out of the Crepe Myrtle. I got my ladder and saw that the nest was built around the branches. I was able to maneuver the nest out. While doing that an egg went flying out and hit the ground and broke. It smelled bad. So a few months go by and the next thing we know the robin is back looking for her nest and its not there. I felt so bad. I didn't know they came back to the same nest and then got pregnant again during the same season. I guess she was busy. She scrambled to build another nest in the exact same spot. I am happy to report that she had a baby or two this time. She has left now for the season and I did get the nest. This time it was full of nasty ants to I had to spray it and its drying in out in the garage.


For all of the nests that I have found so far the Robin's nest is the heaviest. They pack it in with mud on the bottom and then whatever they can find. This one had some heavy duty rope in it and I painted part of it where I saw it.

No comments: