Monday, September 7, 2009

Blue and Gold 11 x 14 on Linen


In this painting I wanted to use the flow blue cup and plate that I found in a box after cleaning out the garage. It was a great surprise to find some flow blue because I had wanted to buy some for a painting. There were a few more pieces in the box that I will paint at a later time. I put the antique with the newer gold vase that I like to paint. After taking the workshop with Nancy Franke she said she had a lucky green pitcher and I have this lucky gold vase. I decided to use her palette of colors for this painting, to see if I would get a lighter feel still painting in the old masters style. Her palette is minimal and I am used to more colors. I did add the yellow ochre for the palette. The minimal palette is a challenge in getting the color you want without it ending up muddy. I know how to mix colors easily since that is what I do for my daily job, but in oil painting I think its great to have a larger palette for truer and cleaner colors. Also, when you are painting something that is red, be it a flower or an object, many times you will have to buy the red you need because in many instances you cannot mix colors to get certain reds.

1 comment:

FitFoodieMegha said...

Wowww Christine! Superb art work. I would really love to see more of your work. great colors and composition.

Water based Color Pencil: Pomegranates